Title and Physical Description
Namaka and Namaka Farm School Districts fonds. — 1927-1953. — 25 cm of textual records.
Namaka School District No. 1919 was founded in 1908 in Namaka, a settlement on the former Canadian Pacific Railway main line southeast of Strathmore, Alberta. A one-room school was completed in 1909, and classes commenced that year. In 1927, to accommodate the growing population of the Namaka Farms district to the south, the school was replaced by a two-room school. In 1935 it was destroyed by fire, but was replaced by a new building that year. In 1938 the school district became part of Strathmore School Division No. 40. In 1958 the school closed and the building became a community hall operated by the Namaka Community Club. The Namaka Farm School District No. 4249 was established in 1927 on the former George Lane Ranch south of the settlement of Namaka. It was a one-room school serving a colony of Mennonite refugees who established farms on the former ranch in the 1920s. The school closed in 1950, and the building was moved to Carseland, where it became a residence.
Collected by Abe Quiring, a former Namaka resident, from an unknown source.
Scope & Content
The fonds consists of classroom attendance registers of the junior and senior classes of Namaka School (1941-1953) and the registers of Namaka Farm School (1927-1936, 1941-1950).
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Abe Quiring, 2010.
Access may be restricted to protect the privacy of individuals, in accordance with Alberta privacy legislation and MHSA policy.
No finding aid.
The material is in English.
Description by Jim Bowman – March 2012.