Accession 2010.030, 2011.025, 2024.008, 2014.023, 2017.021 (all filed with accession 2017.021)
Title and Description
Alberta Mennonite High School Collection, 1946-1996, 6 cm.
The Alberta Mennonite High School was established in Coaldale, Alberta, in 1946, by an educational society with members from various Mennonite communities in the province. It operated until 1964, the last several years as a school of the Mennonite Brethren Conference of Alberta. It offered instruction in grades 9 to 12 and after 1952 also in grades 7 and 8. It was accredited by the provincial government but received very little government financial support. Inadquate financial, conference, church and community support resulted in its closure in 1964.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of material donated by three former students of the school. It includes an account of the founding of the school, a school calendar, a alumni list and copies of the Post Grad, 1951-1959, a publication of the alumni society of the Alberta Mennonite High School.
Source of Acquisition
Gifts by John B. Toews, Rudy Kornelsen, David Dick
1.1 “Some Events and Dates Related to the Founding of a Mennonite High School, by Heinrich Kornelsen,” donated by John B. Toews.
1-2 Alberta Mennonite High School Calendar, 1953-54, donated by Helen Toews
1-3 Post Grad, Alberta Mennonite Hish School Alumni Association, 1951-1959, donated by David Dick and Rudy Kornelsen.
1-4 Alumni list, 1996, prepared for a 50th anniversary celebration of the founding of the school.
1. A complete set of all known yearbooks of the Alberta Mennonite High School, covering the years 1947-48, 1948-49 and 1950-51 through to 1964 are held in the Library of the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta. The 1947-48 and 1948-49 yearbooks carried the title The Pioneer. All the yearbooks from 1950-51 through 1964 carried the title Quo Vadis.
2. Copies of minutes of the meetings of Board of Directors and of the annual meetings of the supporting society, church or conference, together with copies of relevant correspondence by and with church and conference leaders were collected by Isaac I. Regehr, and are part of the T. D. Regehr fonds which have been deposited with the archives of the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta, but not yet fully processed. Ted Regehr, when gathering information and writing his book, Mennonites in Canada. A People Transformed, 1939-1970, also collected and preserved additional relevant documentation on the history of the school.