Mennonite
Historical
Society

of Alberta

Foothills Mennonite Church

Leave a Comment

Title and Physical Description

Foothills Mennonite Church fonds. — 1965-2009. — 14 cm of textual records. — 2 photographs

Administrative/Biographical History

The Foothills Mennonite Church began holding services in 1956 and formally organized in 1961. The first building was occupied in 1959, with a subsequent building program in 1966. Peter Unger is considered the founding leader of the group which formed through rural Albertans moving to Calgary. The congregation was first called North Hill Mennonite Mission and was renamed Foothills Mennonite in 1966 when a new church building was constructed on a new location. The congregation helped in the development of Calgary Mennonite Fellowship in 1975. The congregation has been affiliated with Mennonite Church Alberta (1963-), Conference of Mennonites in Canada/Mennonite Church Canada (1963-) and General Conference Mennonite Church (1965-1999).

Custodial History

The records were donated to the MHSA from 2005-2009.

Scope & Content

The fonds consists of 5 series: A)  Minutes, B) Newsletters, C) Bulletins, D) Constitution, E) Photographs, and F) Other publications

Variations in Title Proper

Also known as North Hill Mennonite Mission fonds.

Source of Supplied Title

Title based on the contents of the fonds

Source of Acquisition

Gift by Lil Bartel, 2005-2008, and Irene Klassen, 2013

Arrangement

According to Subject and date.

Access Restrictions

None

Finding Aids

See Files Inventory

Associated Materials

Associated records may be found in the Mennonite Church Alberta fonds and at the Mennonite Heritage Centre

Related Materials

For publications related to the fonds, see:

  • Canadian Mennonite (16 October 1959): 7; (24 November 1961): 3; (27 April 1965): 9; (3 May 1966): 9; (15 November 1966): 3; (25 June 1968).
  • Wedel, Candace. “The History of the Foothills Mennonite Church, Calgary, Alberta.” Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1965, 9 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
  • Wiens, Janet. “The History of the Foothills Mennonite Church.” Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1980, 20 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
  • Schellenberg, Larry. “Financial History of the Foothills Mennonite Church,” Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1982, 40 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
  • Epp, Marlene. (1986). “Foothills Mennonite Church (Calgary, Alberta, Canada).” Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2007 <www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F664.html>
  • Dick, C.L.The Mennonite Conference of Alberta: A History of its Churches and Institutions. Edmonton: The Mennonite Conference of Alberta, 1981.

Accruals

Expected

Notes

Accessions 2005.022, 2005.038, 2006.017, 2007.014, 2007.030, 2007.034, 2007.047, 2008.029, and 2013.015 filed at 2005.022
Last updated April 2013 – Jim Bowman

Files Inventory

Series A. Minutes. — 2003-2006. — 1 cm of textual materials

The series consists of membership meeting minutes. The series is arranged chronologically

Box 1
1 – 1 Membership Meeting Minutes – 2003-2006

Series B. Newsletters. — 2003-2008. — 1 cm of textual material
The series consists of Foothills Focus newsletters. The series is arranged chronologically

1 – 2 Foothills Focus – 2003-2008

Series C. Bulletins. — 2002-2009. — 12 cm of textual materials
The series consists of Sunday worship service congregational bulletins. The series is arranged chronologically

1 – 3 Bulletins – 2002
1 – 4 Bulletins – 2005
1 – 5 Bulletins – 2006
1 – 6 Bulletins – 2007
1 – 7 Bulletins – 2008
1 – 8 Bulletins – 2009

Series D. Constitution. – 1965. – 0.5 cm of textual materials

1 – 9 Constitution of North Hill Mennonite Church – 1965

Series E. Photographs. – 1986.– 2 photographs

1 – 10 John Lenshyn’s installation as pastor, with his wife Kathy. — 1986. — 2 photoprints

Series F. Other publications

1 – 11 Directory – 1987-1988

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *