Accession 2009.019, 2014.014
Title and Physical Description
Erna Goerzen fonds. — 1980s-1999. — 2.5 cm of textual and photographic material.
Erna Goerzen was born in 1928 in Munson, Alberta as the fourth child to Herman and Katharina (nee Neufeld) Warkentin who had six children. She married Henry D. Goerzen in 1952 and together they had six children: Martin, Irene, Eric, Juanita, Erna, and Albert. They maintained a grain farm in Didsbury along with the help of their son. Erna has made significant and leadership contributions to a variety of organizations – including the Bergthal Mennonite Church and Alberta Women in Mission organizations and the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta.
Scope & Content
The fonds consists of short writings based on interviews that Erna conducted, arranged by date, and photographs or copies of photographs of the Gerhard and Elizabeth (Sommer) Warketin family. Many of the photographs were included in Erna Goerzen’s book Frintschaft, published privately in 2003.
Source of Supplied Title
Title based on the contents of the fonds
Source of Acquisition
Gift by Erna Goerzen
See Item Inventory
Accession 2009.019, 2014.014
Last updated 9 Sep 2010 – Judith Rempel
Writings and Interviews by Erna Goerzen
1-1 – Short Writings by Erna Goerzen – 1980s-1999
.01 “Joy in the Lord is your Strength”/”Die Freude am Herrn ist eure Staerke”: Nehemia 8:10 – [1980s]
.02 Translation of Sarah Lehn’s Christmas letters from Buffalo Head Prairie, 1955-1977 – [1980s]
.03 Impressions from Old Colony Life – from a conversation with Sara Harder – [1980s]
.04 Anne Falk and her work at the Edmonton Newcomer Centre – 1987
.05 Katharina Wall – a Pioneer in Northern Alberta – 
.06 Hans Krueger – 
.07 Interview with Mrs. Erica Quiring and her daughter Ruth – 1989
.08 Interview with Erna (Mantler) Dyck – 1989
.09 Lydia Neufeld Moor – 1999
Photographs or copies of the Gerhard and Elizabeth (Sommer) Warketin family Accession 2014-014
1. Oversized. Copy of students and teachers of Friedensruh village school where Aaron A. Toews was a teacher. Aaron A. Toews was the son of landowner Aaron A. Toews of Alexanderkrone, He tuaght in Kleefeld, 1903-1906, Friedensruh, 1907-1908 and Rueckenau, 1908-1918.
2. Funeral photo of Katharina (Neufeld) Toews, Ufa, c. 1910.
3. Photo of Herman Warketin with a car on the Schoeneld Chtuor of Gerhard and Elizabeth (Sommers) Warkentin.
4. Three photos or copies of members ofthe Gerhard & Helena (Janzen) Warkentin family, n.d.
5. Three photos or copies of the Peter and Melvina (Albrecht) Warketin family, n.d.
6. Seven photos or copies of the Gerhard and Elizabeth (Sommer) Warkentin family and their Chutor near Schoenfeld, 1911 and n.d.
7. Sixteen photos or copies of the Herman and Katharina (Neufeld) Warkentin family, 1915-2010
8. Wedding photo of Isaak and Elizabeth (Warkentin) Giesbrecht, 1943.
9. Three copies of photos of Albert and Debbie (Wiebe) Goerzen family, 1989-2004.
10. Five photos or copies of Eric and Rose (erksen) Goerzen family, 1994-2011.
11. Four photos of Erna Goerzen, c. 1974-1979.
12. Seven photos or cpies of the children of Henry and Erna (Warkentin) Goerzen, c. 1963-1979.
General Queries/Comments: Contact MHSA