Comments Off on Alfred Klassen fonds, 1929-1933, 8 cm. Franz Peter Klassen family letters
Alfred Klassen fonds, 1929-1933, 8 cm. 8 photographs, 1 map. Franz Peter Klassen family letters.
Alfred Klassen was born in [place] on [date] the grandson of Franz Peter Klassen and the son of Jacob Franz Klassen and Maria [give mother’s maiden name.] After the death of his parents in 1983 Alfred Klassen discovered a collection of letters received by his parents between 1929 and 1933 from his father’s brothers or sisters-in-law living in the Soviet Union.
The date and place of birth of Franz Peter Klassen (Alfred Klassen’s grandfather) is not known, but he apparently lived for some time in the Judenplan village of Novo Jhitomir. In 1908 he auctioned off the family’s assets with the intention of joining his daughter who had emigrated earlier and was living with her family in Saskatchewan. Serious delays in Riga,Latvia,caused him to change his plans and move instead, together with his unmarried sons, ranging in age from 11 to 26, to a newly established Mennonite village at Gljaden, Siberia. Franz Peter Klassen died in 1920..
Peter Franz Klassen and Helene (Fast) Klassen registered in a collective in Issyl Kul and moved therein the spring of 1930. He died there of natural causes in 1933.
The family of Abram Franz Klassen and his wife, Susana (Wilms) Klassen,were exiled to the Narym forestry camp in 1931. Two of their smallest children died enroute. Abram and his son Abraham died within a few years.
Nikolai Franz Klassen and Liese (Dyck) Klassen apprently returned to Chortitza, but in 1933 they joined Nikolai’s brothers, Isaak and Peter, who had registered in a collective in Issyl Kul. Nikolai was exiled in 1937 because “he had relatives in foreign lands,” and was never heard of again.
Isaak Franz Klassen and Maria (Friesen) Klassen, as already mentioned, registered in a collective in Issyl Kul. Little is known of the subequent fate of the family.
Daniel Franz Klassen and Anna (Giesbrecht) Klassen apparently livedin one of the Gljaden villages in the early 1930s. Little is known of the subsquent fate of the family.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 55 letters written by five of Franz Peter Klassen’s sons, or their wives to their relatives – the Jacob Franz Klassen family in Canada. These letters are arranged by family and then chronologically. They are written on poor quality paper in the Gothic script, but have been transcribed and the translated by Alfred Klassen who also provided biographical and explanatory information, 8 photographs and map of the Gljaden villages.
Source of Acquisition
Gift by Alfred Klassen
Notes, explanatory comments, genealogical information, transcriptions and translations of the family letters, in the order listed below.
55 letters or postcards written by members of the Klassen family living in the Soviet Union, addressed to Jacob Franz Klassen in Canada
-5 letters, 1 post card from Peter Franz Klassen and Helene (Fast) Klassen, 1931-1932.
-11 letters, 1 post card from Abram Franz Klassen and Susana (Wilms) Klassen, 1930-1932.
-6 letters from Nikolai Franz Klassen and Liese (Dyck) Klassen, 1929-1930.
-28 letters, postcards and smaller written communications from Isaak Franz Klassen and Maria (Friesen) Klassen, 1931-1933.
-4 letters from Anna (Giesbrecht) Klassen, wife of Daniel Franz Klassen, 1931-1933
8 photographs, described in greater detail in Alfred Klassen’s notes.
-1882, Franz Peter Klassen, his wife, and sons Franz F. and Peter F. Klassen
-1925, Nikolai F. Klassen and Elizabeth (Dyck) Klassen
-1926, Daniel F. Klassen and Anna (Giesbrecht) Klassen with baby.
-1928, Isaak F. Klassen and Maria (Friesen) Klassen and family.
-1929, Abram F, Klassen and Susana (Willms) Klassen and family
-1934, Peter F. Klassen and Helena (Fast) Klassen with family and relatives.
-1934, Family at Issyl Kul, probably in Isaak F. Klassen’s home.
-The Peter Dyck’s sod house
Comments Off on Susan Roberts fonds, undated, 10 cm.
Title and Description
Susan Roberts fonds, undated, 10 cm.
Susan Roberts was born in Ukraine, the daughter of a German [Mennonite] family. In her autobiography she does not give the names of her parents or the village in which she was born. Evidence in the booklet described below suggests that her farther was Peter Heinrich Harder who lived in the village of Gnadenthal. Her father was a miller, and the family experienced difficult conditions in the years following the Russian Revolution. Susan, together with her parents and three sisters emigrated to Canada in 1923 where she married Robert Rogers. She wrote a short 6 page undated autobiography on the reverse side of a multi-paged letter promoting a program on “Arteries Cleaned Out Naturally.” The German autobiography, handwritten in Latin script, was translated by Marion M. Roberts in 2001.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a 6-page autobiography focussing mainly on the conditions and tragedies of the time when anarchist criminal bands roamed the Ukrainian countryside during the period of instability following the Russian Revolultion. There is also a typewritten English translation, an undated wedding picture of Susan and Robert Rogers, and a small case-enclosed calendar booklet. This booklet, brought by the family from Russia, is entitled Christliches Vergiszmeinnicht [Christian Forget me not]. On the front page there is the inscription, “This book belongs to Peter Heinrich Harder, Box 415, Coaldale, Alta., followed in a different script by the words: “Given in Loving memory to Mrs Susan Roberts.” The booklet, with pages providing space for handwritten entries also includes a scripture passage for each day of the year, interspersed with artistic drawings and pictures. On available blank spaces for each day various bits of genealogical information are entered. One of these, on an early page states: Unsere Tochter Susana ist den 2 Januar Geboren, 1917 [Our daughter Susana was born 2 January 1917] . The booklet also includes an apparently much older entry in German Gothic script “Den 13 April ist unser Sohn Peter geboren in Gnadenthal 1879 in Ruszland” [The 13th April is our son Peter born in Gnadenthal, 1879 in Russia]. That is confirmed by an entry for the 13 of April stating Ich bin gebornen den 13 April 1879…Peter Harder [I was born 13 April 1879…Peter Harder]. These entries suggest that the booklet was held by family members of several generations.
Comments Off on Peter Schellenberg fonds, 1926, 1955-1972, 12 cm
Title and Description:
Peter Schellenberg fonds, 1926, 1955-1972.
Peter Schellenbert was born in the village of Blumenfeld, Ukraine, the larger town of Nikopol in the Borozenko colony on September 17, 1887. His father died when Peter was very young; his mother remarried and the family moved to the community of Gruefeld. He attended the village school there and later a Zentralschule where he also received some training in bookkeeping and accounting. He received catechism instruction and was baptized on confession of his faith by Elder Isaac Dyck on June 7, 1908.
From 1908 to 1911, he worked in the Forestry Service to fulfill his service obligation as a conscientious objector to war. After Russia entered World War I, Peter enlisted in the Medical Corps and served as a medical orderly on the western front bringing wounded men from the battlefield and caring for them on troop trains back to hospitals in Russia.
Following the war, he worked as a bookkeeper and buyer for a hardware firm. On April 23, 1918, he and Judita Froese were married. Three of their first four children died in infancy, and only one son, Jacob, survived to accompany them when they emigrated to Canada some years later. This was a time of lawlessness and revolution in the Ukraine, and on the night of December 13, 1919, Peter’s family fell victim to an attack by bandits – his mother, stepfather, three brothers, one step-sister and his step-brother were murdered.
In February of 1922, Peter was elected to the ministry by the Georgstal congreation, and was ordained by Elder Isaac Dyck of that congregation on September 26, 1922. He served in that congregation until the family made the decision to emigrate to Canada in the fall of 1926, due to increased restrictions on religious freedom, ongoing threats of violence, and the hope for a better future for their son. They – Peter, Judita, Jacob and Great Aunt Anna Regier – left their home community in late Setpember, traveled by train to Moscow and from there to Rezeckne in Latvia, and then on to the port city of Libau. Here there was a stopover of a week, and on October 15, 1926 they sailed from there on the steamer S S Baltriger, and arrived in Southamption, England, on October 20. On October 21 they boarded the S S Melita and arrived in Quebec on October 29, 1926. From Quebec they left on a week-long journey westward and arrived in Rosthern near the end of the first week in November. Here they were received by friends, the John Federau family, and travelled by train to Dundurn. They lived and worked on farms in that community for two and a half years, then moved to the near-by village of Eyebrow where they had heard farmland might be available for purchase. However, this did not materialize and they lived and worked on farms owned by Dietrich Thiessen and Henry Loewen.
During their time in Saskatchewan, two daughters, Marie Louise and Anne Susan, were born. In May, 1931, they moved to Coaldale, arriving there on May 5. Their son John was born there on November 14. For several years they worked as farm labourers, and then, in 1934, rented land – the Wright Farm near Eight Mile Lake some distance from Coaldale and began farming. Jake went to school in Coaldale by horse-drawn school van. Two years later, they rented an irrigation farm in the Crystal Lake district, seven miles northwest of Coldale, and farmed there until 1951. They operated this 120 acre farm, plus another 40 acres leased from a neighbour on a 2/3-1/3 share crop basis: raising alfalfa, sugar beets, grain, seed peas and corn. They also had a small dairy herd milking 8-12 cows and shipping cream to the Co-op cheese factory developed by Mennonites in the Coaldale area. He had an opporutnity to work in a business owned by a local Mennonite businessman as a bookkeeper, but declined because he felt that with the required business hours he would not have the time and the flexibility to serve in the church as he felt that he ought.
Peter Schellenberg began his service with the congregation in Coaldale shortly after arriving, Already in 1932 he was elected to lead the congregation, He accepted this responsibility somewhat reluctantly and worked in his capacity for two years. In 1934, Elder William Martens moved to Coaldale and served as leader of the congregation until he moved to Vauxhaul in 1938. Peter was then again elected as leading pastor. The congregation voted to install him as elder, and he was ordained to this task on April 10, 1949, by Elder David Janzen of the Springridge congregation. In addition to his local duties, he participated in ‘Bibel-besprechungen’ in various communities with other pastors, and travelled to isolated communities to preach and conduct communion services. He valued and was active in the fledgling provincial conference of Mennonite churches which became the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta and the Mennonite Church Alberta. He and served as Vice-chiar from 1955-58.
With regard to his work and leadership, C. L. Dick, in his book, The Mennonite Conference of Alberta. A History of its Churches and Institutions, stated the following: “He was utterly dedicated to the church and treated its membes with complete integrity. From 1937 to 1949 he lived some seven miles northwest of Coaldale. It is seriously doubted that it ever entered his mind that the weather was too cold or wet to attend services, both morning and evening. Not only that, he felt it important to be in church well before services began. On occasion when roads were impasable, he walked to and from services. He felt poeple had a right to expect him to be there. Most members of the congregation had a great deal of confidence in him both as a spiritual leader and as a friend who respected confidences. Schellenberg was intelligent and studious – qualities that suited him well for his task as a minister. He was genuinely humble and tothe outside observer, was in some instances too ready to give way for the sake of peace. At times he seemed to lack the self-esteem and self-confidence to give strong leadership, particularly during times of stress.”
Peter retired from active service as pastor and elder on January 16, 1965, having served some 43 years in the ministry. After his retirement he continued to conduct Bible Study groups, worship services in the local ‘Altenheim,’ and preached on occasion when asked to do so. His wife, Judita, died on September 12, 1966, and war buried on September 17 – his birthday. They were a close couple, gentle and considerate in their relationships with each other and their children. She had been a strong and cosnistent support to him in his work in the church. After her death, Peter continued to care for their daughter, Marie, who was suffering from a slowly debilitating nerve disorder. In the fall of 1974, he suffered a slight storke which, although it did not incapacitate him severely, made it impossible for him to live completely independently and care for Marie. In November of that year, he and Marie moved to the Fraser Valley to be near his eldest son, Jacob, a lay minister in the West Abbotsford Mennonite Church. He entered the Menno Home in Abbotsford in late December 1974. Marie also became a resident at the Menno Home and so they were able to remain in contact during the ensuing years.
During his years at the Menno Home, Peter continued to read, correspond with friends and with his children, reflect and make notes on various biblical themes. He was concerned that his family and the Mennonite people should remain faithful and not leave the teachings of Scripture and spent much time in prayer for his children and grandchildren and for the church. In the year before his death, failing eyesight obliged him to cut back on his reading and writing.
He enjoyed preparing sermon outlines, and gained inspiration in doing so. He therefore continuedpreparing neatly typed sermon outlines, even after he was unable to preach. Some of the early sermons were entered in small note books, or handwritten on small sheets of notepaper, but most of the later sermons were typed out in full. He died on Aprpil 1, 1982.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of several small notebooks containing sermon outlines, a few handwritten sermons on small sheets of notepare, and dozens typed out in full. The collecction sustained some water damage and is a fragile condition. There is one sermon dated 25 September 1926, a collection from the year 1955, and then sermons covering the years from 1963-1972.
Source of Aquistion.
Gift, on bhealf of the family, by Kim Thiessen.
Notes: Accession 2015.021
Finding Aid, list of files
1. Sermon dated 25 September 1926.
2. Small notebooks and small envelopes of undate and 1955handwritten sermon notes
3. Sermons, 1963
4. Sermons, 1964
5. Sermons, 1965
6. Sermons, 1966
7. Sermons, 1966
8. Sermons, 1967
9. Sermons, 1968
10. Sermons, 1969
11. Sermons, 1070
12. Sermons, 1971
13. Sermons 1972
14. Genealogical and biographical information about Peter and Judita (Froese) Schellenberg, provided by their grandson, Terry Schellenberg.
Richard Penner fonds, 1969, 1 cm. Transcript of an interview by Richard Penner with Dr. John Klassen and Mrs. Anna (Dyck) Klassen in Bluffton, Ohio, on 21 November 1969.
Richard Penner was born and raised in the Mennonite community of Rosemary, Alberta the sonof George Penner and Frieda (Friesen) Penner. He attended the University of Alberta, graduating in 1964 with a degree in agriculture genetics. He worked most of his life as a private agronomist specializing in commercial seed development for developing countries. He sold his California company in 2013 and returned to Canada. He interviewd Dr. John and Mrs. Anna (Dyck) Klassen in Bluffton, Ohio, on 21 November 1969. Ricahrd’s maternal grandmother was a sister to Dr. John Klassen.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of a 19-page transcript of an interview by Richard Penner with Dr. John Klassen (1888-1975) and Mrs. Anna (Dyck) Klassen (1893-1975) in Bluffton, Ohio, on 21 November 1969. Dr. John Klassen was born in Kronsgarten, Russia, on the northern border of the Chortitza Mennonite colony. At one year of age his parents moved to some new lands just west of the Dneiper River where two new Mennonite settlements – Miloradowka and Yekaterinowka – were established. There John Klassen and his 3 siblings grew up. He demonstrated natural abilities in the field of art. So he was sent to Switzerland and Germany to study art. Upon his return to Russia he became an art teacher and also worked as a sculptor, serving members of the Russian aristocracy. This connection to the royal court was helpful when he assisted young Mennonite men seeking alternative rather than military service during World War I. He also played a leadership role in facilitating Mennonite emigration to North America after the Russian Revolution. In 1921 John Klassen married Anna Dyck, the youngest daughter of Aeltester Isaac Dyck, the Bishop of the Chortiza churches. In 1923 John and Anna Klassen, along with a young son, emigrated to Canada, first to Saskatchewan, then Alberta, and finally to Bluffton, Ohio, where he was offered a postion in the art department of Bluffton College. He served as head of the Art School and his work still dominates the college.
Anna Klassen was born in Rosenthal, Russia, where she lived until her marriage to John Klassen in 1921. She was the youngest daughter of the bishp of the Chortitza Mennonties. Dr. John and Anna Klassen lived most of their adult lives in Bluffton, Ohio, where they raised 4 sons. Anna predeceassed her husbant by a few months in 1975,
The fonds consists of a typescript of the interview, together with several pages of supporting correspondence.
Comments Off on Gem Mennonite Brethren Church, 1979, 2 pages
Title and Description
Gem Mennonite Brethren Church fonds, 1979, 2 pages
The Gem Mennonite Brethren Church, located at Gem in central Alberta, had its beginnings in November of 1928 when 25 Mennonite families, immigrants from the Ukraine and Siberia, settled there, some of whom were Mennonite Brethern, some Evangelical Mennonite Brethren and some General Conference Mennonites. On 2 June 1929 the Mennonite Brethren congregation was organized with 35 members and with H. K. Siemens as leader. They met in the school every Sunday for worship together with the members of the other two branches.
In 1932 a church was built, which was enlarged a few years later. In 1952-3, because of its unsatisfactory location and poor condition, it was sold and a new one was erected. An important milestone was the opening of the Bethesda Bible School on 12 November 1933 which, with a few interruptions, served until 1957, On 16 December 1934, P. P. Doerksen was chosen as leader of the congreation.
The membership in 1953 was 130. The congregation continued to grow, in spite of the fact that the subsidiary congregation in Countess became an independent congregation in 1939, and many members moved to British Columbia. In 1942 all the members of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren congregation formally united with the Mennonite Brethren congregation. The language of worship is English, the transition from German to English occured in the 1950s
The congregation celebrated its 50th anniversary on 4-5 August, 1979 and its 75th anniversary on 23 May 2004.
Scope and Content
The content consists of the bulletin of the 50th Anniversary of the Gem Mennonite Brethren Church, 4-5 August, 1979,
Source of Acquisition
Gem Mennonite Brethren Church, 1929-1979, (Gem, Alberta: Gem Mennonite Brethren Church, 1979.)
GAMEO Gem Mennonite Brethren Church.
John A. Toews, A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church, (Fresno:CA: Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, 1973.
Comments Off on Stauffer. Harry, fonds, 4 m., 1923-2004
Title and Description
Stauffer, Harry, fonds, 4 m. 1923-2004.
Harry Stauffer, the oldest child of Ben and Nora (King) Stauffer, was born on the family farm near Tofield, Alberta, on 5 November 1920. When Harry was three and one half years old his father was killed in a farming accident, which caused him to begin farming at a very young age. Harry attended school at Grand Forks School near Tofield.
Gladys (Reist) Stauffer was born at Youngstown, Alberta on 27 July 1920. She was the oldest child of Abe and Alma Reist. In 1924 the family moved to the Carstairs area where Abe Reist also served as a part-time pastor.
Harry and Gladys first met when attending winter Bible schools and were married on 16 March 1944. After their marriage they moved to the Stauffer home place near Tofield and became members of the Salem Mennonite Church. They participated in many activities of their church and conference.
Harry Stauffer, despite a lack of formal training enjoyed history and actively reseached and recorded a great variety of aspects of the history of his home church (Salem Mennonite Church), and of the Northwest Mennonite Conference (formerly the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference). He served as unofficial historian and collector of historical and archival material pertaining to the histories of both the church and conference. He was a member of the Historical Committee which commissioned Ted Regehr to write the centennial history of the Northwest Mennonite Conference.
Harry Stauffer died in March of 2005, leaving a large collection of historical material which was stored in a special small office of the Salem Mennonite Church. Ted Regehr was invited to review and select for permanent retention material deemed worthy of permanent preservation. The items selected were donated by Joseph Voegtlin on behalf of the Salem Mennonite Church to the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists Northwest Mennonite Conference (Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference) annual reports, conference newsletters and special files, subject files and bulletins ofthe Salem Mennonite Church at Tofiled (Harry’s Stauffer’s home church), and subject files and bulletins of other member congregations of the Northwest Mennonite Conference. sThere is also a collection of Northwest Mennonite Conference Newsletters, reports and documents from the Salem Mennonite and other conference churches, and a large collection of church bulletins.
The material was received in a somewhat disorganized state and was sorted and arranged by the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta archivist..
Source of Acquision
Gift by Joseph Voegtlin on behalf of the Salem Mennonite Church and the Northwest Mennonite Conference.
See attached file list.
Northwest Mennonite Conference fonds, Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta Archives.
T. D. Regehr fonds, Material gathered for the writing of the conference’s centennial history, Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta Archives
T. D. Regehr, Faith, Life and Witness in the Northwest. Centennial History of the Northwest Mennonite Conference, 1903-2003, (Kitchener: Pandora Press, 2003.
Joseph Voegtlin, ed., A Mennonite Mosaic. A Century of God’s Faithfulness at Salem Mennonite Church, Tofield, Alberta, 1910-2010 (Tofield: Centennial Book Committee, Salem Mennonite Church, 2010)
Ezra Stauffer, History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference, 1960.
Notes: Accession 2013.026
I. Incomplete set of Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference/Northwest Mennonite Conference Annual Reports, some with supplemental material. Included with the reports of conferences which Harry Stauffer attended are various supplementary reports, letters and documents.
Congregational Profiles and Incomplete set of Conference Newsletters
3-26 Congregational Profiles, 1988. These were one-page profiles of the congregations and used as bulletin inserts.
3-27 Newsletters, 1967-1976.
3-28 Newsletters, 1977-1980.
3-29 Newsletters, 1980-1983.
3-31 Newsletters, 1985-1989.
3-32 Newsletters, 1990-1993.
3-33 Newsletters, 1994-2002.
Special Conference files
3-34 Spying Out The North, 1946, 120 cm x 80 cm poster of photographs with commentary of an exploratory mission trip to Northern Alberta.
3-35 Statements by serveral ministers regarding conference doctrines, policies and practices.
Salem (Tofield) Mennonite Church subject files and bulletins
The Salem Mennonite Church was started in the spring of 1910 by several families from Nebraska. The initially met in homes but built their first church building, later enlarged, in 1915 on a site 14 Miles south-east of Tofield. The joined the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference (later renamed the Northwest Mennonite Conference) in 1915. In 1988, with the support of other member congregations of the Northwest Mennonite Conference, the Park Mennonite Church, was established in nearby Sherwood Park.
3-36 Salem Mennonite Church Declaration of Incorporation, 1937.
3-37 Salem Mennonite Church constitution and constitutional amendments.
3-38 Salem Mennonite Church Governance Models.
3-39 Salem Mennonite Church job descriptions and church governance.
3-40 Salem Mennonite Church Blue Print of the Church building.
3-41 Salem Mennonite Church celebrations. Includes program and newspaper clippings of the dedication of the new church building, and programs of the 60th, 70th and 100th anniveresaries
3-42 Salem Mennonite Church Minute book, 1941-1975.
3-43 Salem Mennonite Church, minutes, reports, correspondence, 1997-2004.
3-44 Salem Mennonite Church, minutes, reports, correspondence, 2005-2010.
3-45 Salem Mennonite Church, Membership record book.
3-46 Salem Mennonite Church, Membership Transfer Records, 1967-1984,
3-47 Salem Mennonnite Church, Certificates of Membership, 1962-1982.
4-48 Salem Mennonite Church, Directories, 1971, 1990, 2005
4-49 Salem Mennonite Church, Deacons’ Record Book, 1924-1944.
4-50 Salem Mennonite Church, Pastoral letters, 1975-2001.
4-51 Salem Mennonite Church, Policies and Procedures – sexual or physical harassment or abuse.
4-52 Salem Mennonite Church, Youth Fellowship, games, socializers, party games, leadership guidelines. stunts.
4-53 Salem Mennonite Church, Funeral and Cemetery Policy and Register of Burials.
4-54 Salem Mennonite Church, Record of grave diggers, 1932-1971.
4-55 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1968-1971.
4-56 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1972-1974.
4-57 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1975-1977.
5-58 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1978-1980.
5-59 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1981-1983.
5-60 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1984-1986.
5-61 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1987-1989.
5-62 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1990-1992.
5-63 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1993-1995.
5-64 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1996-1998.
6-65 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1999-2001.
6-66 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 2002-2004.
6-67 Salem Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 2005-March 2006.
6-68 Park Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1988-1989.
6-69 Park Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1991-1992.
6-70 Park Mennonite Church, Bulletins, 1993-1994.
Mount View (High River) Mennonite Church subject files
The Mount View (High River) Mennonite church was one of the three founding member churches when, in 1903, the Alberta Mennonite Conference (later renamed the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference and then the Northwest Mennonite Conference) was organized. Members lived in quite widely separated areas, and membership remained small. It closed its doors and the church building was sold in 1950. In 1998 Trinity Mennonite Church near Calgary accepted responsiblity for the care of the Mount View Mennonite cemetery, More detailed informaton about the church is available in the records of the Northwest Mennonite Conference available at the archives of the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta.
7-71 History of the Mennonite Church at High River and Aldersyde and other historical information.
7-72 Mount View Mennonite Church – 50th Anniversary celebration,
7-73 Mount View Mennonite Church – correspondence with Harry Stauffer pertaining to the history of the church.
7-74 Mount View Mennonite Church – cemetery record of burials and report of the arrangement with Trinity Mennonite Church.
West Zion (Carstairs) Mennonite Church Bulletins
The West Zion (Carstairs) Mennonite Church was also one of the three founding members church when, in 1903, the Alberta Mennonite Conference (later renamed the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference and then the Northwest Mennonite Conference) was organized. It has grown over the years and undergone several church building or additions projects. More detailed informaton about the church is available in the records of the Northwest Mennonite Conference available at the archives of the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta.
7-75 West Zion Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1976-1977.
7-76 West Zion Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1978.
7-77 West Zion Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1988-1990.
Sharon (Guernsey, Saskatchewan) Mennonite Church subject files.
The Sharon (Guersey, Saskatchewan) Mennonite Church was organized in 1905 and, in the following year, joined the Alberta Mennonite Conference which was then renamed the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. Membership remain relatively small for many years but declined after 2000 and led to the closing of the church. More detailed information about the church is available in the records of the Northwest Mennonite Conferenceavailable at the archives of teh Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta. A few scattered financial statements and church or council reports and minutes are included in the files consisting almost entirely of church bulletins.
7-78 Short History of the Sharon Mennonite Church by Doreen Snider.
7-79 Sharon Mennonite Church, Constitution and Discipline (no date)
7-80 Sharon Mennonite Church Newsletters, 1960-1966.
7-81 Sharon Mennonite Church Newsletters, 1967-1987.
7-82 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1965-1967.
7-83 Sharon Mennonite Church Billetins, 1968-1969.
7-84 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1970-1971.
7-85 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1972-1973.
7-86 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1974.
7-87 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1975.
7-88 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1976.
7-89 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1977.
8-90 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1978.
8-91 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1979.
8-92 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1980
8-93 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1981.
8-94 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1982.
8-95 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1983.
8-96 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1984.
8-97 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1985.
8-98 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1986
8-99 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1987.
8-100 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1988.
8-101 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1989.
8-102 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1990.
8-103 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1991.
8-104 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1992.
8-105 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1993.
8-106 Sharon Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1994.
Mountain View (Kalispell, Montana) Mennonite Church
The Mountain View Mennonite Church traces its history back to the settlement of some Mennonite people near Kalispell, Montana, in 1903. The church was formally organized under the auspices of the Western Amish Mennonite Conference in 1913 when a new building was erected. In 1915, in consderation of its remoteness from other congregations of the Western Amish Mennonite Conference, the Mountain View congregation joined the Pacific Coast, but in 1923 the church was released from that conference to join the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference, now the Northwest Mennonite Conference. In the conference reorganizations resulting in the creation of Mennonite Church Canada and Mennonite Church United States, the Mountain View church became a member of one of the United States based Mennonite conferences.
9-107 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1963.
9-108 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1964.
9-109 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1965,
9-110 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1966.
9-111 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1967,
9-112 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1968.
9-113 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins,1969.
9-114 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1970.
9-115 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1971.
9-116 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1972.
9-117 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1973.
10-118 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1974.
10-119 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1975.
10-120 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1976.
10-121 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1977,
10-122 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1978.
10-123 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1979.
10-124 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1980.
10-125 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1981.
10-126. Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1982.
10-127 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1983.
10-128 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1984.
10-129 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1985.
10-130 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1986.
11-131 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1987.
11-132 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1988.
11-133 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1989
11-134 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1990.
11-135 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1991.
11-136 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1992.
11-137 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1993.
11-138 Mountain View Mennonie Church Bulletins, 1994.
11-139 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1995.
11-140 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1996.
11-141 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1997.
11-142 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1998.
11-143 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 1999.
11-144 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 2000.
12-145 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 2001.
12-146 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 2002.
12-147 Mountain View Mennonite Church Bulletins, 2003
Calgary Mennonite Fellowship/Pineridge Christian Fellowship Bulletins
The Calgary Mennonite Fellowship was formed in 1978, affiliated and supported by both the Northwest Mennonite Conference and the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta (now Mennonite Church Alberta).
Humboldt, Saskatchewan, Living Word Ministries Bulletins.
James Mullet, pastor of the Sharon Mennonite Church at Guernsey, Saskatchewan began outreach services in the larger nearby town of Humboldt in 1976. In 1987 Mullet, accepted pastoral responsibilities with Living Word Ministries,a small newly organized charismatic group in Humboldt. In 1989 some membersof Living Word Ministries joined with another group operating a Christian Centre in Humboldt to for the New Hope Community Church which subsequently joined the Cowboy Christian Church for worship services during the time of the local rodeo.Mullet resigned as pastor of the group in 1993 and the shrinking congregation closed its doors in 2000.
12-152 Humboldt Community Church/Living Word Ministries Church bulletins, 1976, 1988-1989.
Calling Lake Mennonite Fellowship Sunday School records.
A Voluntary Service Union was established at Calling Lake, Alberta, in 1955. The group offered Sunday School and Daily Vacation Bible School instruction for the children as well as worship and fellowship services. The congregation was incorporated in 1968
12-153 Seven small booklets of Calling Lake Sunday School records, 1958-1972.
12-154 Calling Lake file of miscellaneous correspondence, arranged chronologically, 1965-1979.
Eaglesham Mennonite Church subject file
In 1947 Alberta-Sasaktchewan Mennonite Conference mission workers began a summer vacation Bible school at Four Mile Creek near Eaglesham in northern Alberta. Worship services were held together with members of the Evangelical Free Church and in 1965 a church building was erected. In 1990 the congregation ended its membership in the Mennonite Conference and became an Evangelical Free Church, but retained strong links with the Mennonite conference.
12-155 Eaglesham Mennonite Church subject file containing the Dedication Program of the Eaglesham Mennonite Church in 1965, a short history of the church, the constitution of the church, and additional photographs, press clippings and correspondence.
Comments Off on Lawrence Klippenstein fonds, 2010. .5 cm
Title and Description
Lawrence Klippenstein fonds, 2010, .5 cm
Lawrence Klippenstein was born 16 July 1930, the son of Cornelius D. Klippepnstein and Helen Rempel. His grew up on a farm near Altona, Mantioba. After studies at Canadian Mennonite Bible College, Winnipeg, Manitoba, (B. Chr. Ed. 1954) and Goshen College and Seminary, Goshen, Indiana (B.A., B. D., 1962). He went on to graduate studies at the University of Minnesota earning an MA and PhD in Russian history. His dissertation topic was Mennonite Pacifism and State Service in Russia: A Case Study in Church-State Relations, 1789-1936. He married LaVerna Reimer in 1956, worked with Mennonite Pioneer Mission for 2 years and then taught at the Canadian Mennonite Bible College, served briefly as a pastor and then, from 1974 to 1997, served as Director of the Mennonite Heritage Centre in Winnpeg. On leave in 1992-93 he served as MCC country director in Russia while also pursuing further archival research interests. He was a director of the Mennonite Historical Society of Canada and published numerous academic and non-academic articles in books, jouranls, magazines and newspapers.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of two scholarly articles :
“Mennonite Education in Siberia: Heinrich P. Wieler In a Classroom, 1916-1918”
Comments Off on Kronswiede Village Collection, 1919-c1973, 2 cm.
Title and Description
Kronsweide Village Collection, 1919-c.1973, 2 cm
The village of Kronsweide, later referred to as Alt Kronsweide, was established in 1789. It was one of the first villages of the Chortitza Mennonite Settlement. It was situated between the Dnjeper and the Bug Rivers. The soil at the original site was quite rocky and many of the settlers relocated to what became known as Neu-Kronsweide. In 1919 the people and infrastructure of the village suffered severe damage at the hands of Nestor Machno’s marauding anarchists and by dissatisfied local Russians. The Bolsheviks renamed the village Wladimirowka and subjected its citizens to the tyrannies of the Stalinist era. In World War II, the village was occupied by the German army. Under the direction of the Reichsministerium fuer die besetzen Ostgebeite (Ministry for the occupied eastern territories) detailed reports were prepared to document the experiences of the German/Mennonite people. Many were regarded by the ministry as “Volksdeutsche” capable of participating in a greatly enlarged post-war German Reich.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of an undated 23-page village and family history. Neither the family name nor the name of the author are given, but the context suggest that it was written by a descendant of Peter Peters who is listed in the Kronswiede 1795 census report as a 16 year old. Then there is a second fourteen-page village and family history, written in 1973 by Franz P. Funk of Warman, Saskatchewan. A third, undated eight-page, village/family history titled “Memories of Kronswiede and Jasykowa” was written by Isaak Warkentin.
The largest part of the collection consists of numerous maps, reports, genealogical, family and statistical information documenting the history of the village and the experiences of the people under communist rule and under German military occupation. Similar detailed village reports (Dorfberichte) were prepared by the German occupation forces for many villages with large German (Volksdeutsche) people. This file has sufficient information for the writing of a quite comprehensive history of an important Russian Mennonite village.
Peter Bartel, 1812-1879, was an ordained Aeltester of the Gemeinde Montau-Gruppe in West Prussia . He, together with Gerhard Penner, Koczlitskie, Aeltester der Neubuder Gemeinde, Johann Toews, Ladekopp, Aeltester der Ladekopper Gemeinde, Johann Wiebe, Fuerstenwerder, Aeltester der Fuerstenwerder Gemeinde, and Johann Penner, Pr.-Koenigsdorf, Aeltester der Thiensdorfer Gemeinde, were members of a West-Prussian Mennonite delegation which met in Berlin in October and November 1867, with senior Prussian military and politicalleaders to seek exemption from a new Prussian military service act. The delegates received assurances and some concessions, approved by the Riechstag (German parliament) on 9 November 1867. Not all the Mennonite concerns were addressed. That evenually led to the migration of many Prussian Mennonites to Russia.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 5-page typewritten copy of a report, written by Peter Bartel, describing the meetings of the five Aeltesten with senior Prussian military and political leaders. Also included in an English translation of the document by Annemary Buhler, and and otherwise unidentified newspaper report based on Peter Bartel’s report.
Source of Acquisition
The documents were provided by Erika Quiring to Irene Klassen who donated them to the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta Archives.
Comments Off on Bowman, Jim collection, 2012-2013, 2 cm.
Accession 2012.0036 and 2013.o3o (filed as 2012.036)
Title and Description
Jim Bowman collection. – 2012-2013. – 2 cm of textual records.
Jim Bowman, 1949- was born in Edmonton, Alberta. He studied Sociology and Anthropology at Simon Fraser Unversity and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1978. He was awarded a Master of Library Science from the University of British Columbia in 1982. He has been employed as an archivist in Vancouver, Chilliwack and Calgary, and has worked as an indpendent archival consultant and researcher.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of two folders of reports written by and relevant notes gathered by Jim Bowman. The first file focuses on the life and career of Cornelius Hiebert who was active in local politics and a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta from 1905-1909. The second contains notes and information on Mennonites in the High River area of Alberta.